Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Previous makes and refashions

Hi, 

I have been wanting to blog since forever and ever but never had anything to say.
Finally, I feel that it is necessary to be a full-fledged member of the sewing community, I need to have a face and describe my few projects. Up till now, I have been a lurker and an avid sewing blogs reader. Hopefully, there will be more to say.

So far I want to show what I made or remade.

These are leggins made for daughter from Burda magazine 6/2012 #124. Original pattern had a short length, so it is lengthened by 20 cm or about. The fabric is from Britex in SF - the store is so beautiful and staff is helpful, not snooty at all. It is very beautiful and feels wonderful next to skin.

However, she's not wearing them because there's no tops that match the crazy leggings. Another wardrobe gap.



And this one is a so called onesie for daughter. She loves it and wears it all the time when it is cold.
The pattern is Simplicity  1731. It was super fast to make by my standards. Some of my projects are 10 years old and still not finished. This one was done in 2 evenings. The only thing about this pattern is that the crotch hangs too low. I put the pattern against her and folded up the length removing about 3-4 inches or more. Now, I don't remember. The fabric was from Joann's and i got it at 50% off, but still came out expensive to about $24 dollars total. The

This one is a mullet skirt I made last fall (Fall of 2012). Again, daughter has nothing to wear it with. The fabric was bought from Joann's a very long time. I  don't know what I was thinking or envisioning. Only a young person can pull off this super busy print. For some reason daughter liked the fabric and was okay with me making this skirt
 

 The skirt was made from her old skirt which got unraveled due to wear and tear.


 The back view before attaching the waist band
 The side view of the skirt right after i fixed the hem


 The bottom skirt and lining for modesty and wearability - the black lining is from her old skirt.
Then, I have a couple of refashions of useless things into aprons:
1. Half apron plus shirt into an apron
 Below is a shirt that's kind of ugly and a half apron i had to buy for $5.00.

 Then I cut out the shirt
 and attached to the half apron
 Next, I have my practical gardening apron made out of overalls. I bought the overalls from a yard sale, but daughter did not like them because the denim was too stiff and they were not flattering.







To me, the apron turned out okay, I wear it all the time - I can harvest all my produce and stick it into the front pocket.

Then, I made underwear from an old t-shirt from Zoe's free pattern - Zoe is a great English blogger I have been following for years - I can assure you that they fit better than from the store and easy to make following her instructions. Thank you Zoe! I used a regular sewing machine : 




This is the Alice in Wonderland costume made for daughter 3 years ago?
Time flies. I used Simplicity pattern 2325
 Also made a petticoat to go underneath - the fabric I had since daughter was 4, I was going to make a Jasmine costume which again never materialized - this underskirt was so much work it almost took as long as the dress:

The heart is an applique embroidered on my previous bad sewing machine.
I didn't use a stabilizer, but used newspaper print underneath and it worked.
I also made another apron -that has Regretsy worthy potential.
It has a front hanging butt - can also be used for harvesting produce or chihuahuas.




That's it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment